Saturday 19 October 2013

Rolling Rolling Rolling

Everything hinges on my ability to remain mobile. I've no option but to put all my efforts in enabling its repair. I've called up a wheelchair company I've become acquainted with during my stint as a volunteer for ShopMobility. GBL Wheelchairs have looked after my (t)rusty wheelchair since I first got her. Replacing the control box is possibly the best way forward however GBL have told me that a replacement control box would come to between £300.00 to £500,00 provided they can find one that is.

There are a couple of things against it. Firstly, they no longer manufacture my wheelchair. Which makes kind of sense I suppose. My Nippy is small, for wheelchairs that is, which means that she can be used on public transport. She has very good maneuverability (I can turn her on a five pence piece). She has a goodly range which is essential in such a hilly area as Brighton and the brakes on her are instant. Another essential ... especially when you are trundling around in a pedestrian area with people always cutting across. Secondly, I haven't £300.00 never mind £500.00 ...

But, and here is the real value in having a decent wheelchair repair service, they may be able to fix my current control box; given that I got her dried out as soon as possible and therefore have hopefully limited the extent of the damage. It will still cost between £100.00 to £200.00 and I will just have to hope that it is closer to the £100.00 ... I've been saving up towards the time when the batteries needed to be renewed so can use that and just pray that my batteries will last just a little while longer.


1 comment:

  1. I have a spare brand new (with receipt) batteries 12 v 10amh , for an electric wheelchair or can be used on small mobility scooters! I also now have a Spare mobility scooter! as I no longer go out I actually have two not being used ! I have no qualms on loaning whichever is more suited to your needs! I would hate to see anyone stuck when there is something that can be done to help ! and as you were there when I needed help I see no reason why I cant return the favour ! we all fall out at some stage ! and I am offering the hand of Friendship! it is now up to you either call and say no ta or say "When can I collect"!!! ball is in your court now Mims all the best hope to hear from you soon Dell

    ReplyDelete